I loved reading poetry when in college, or you can say I developed the habit as I was a literature student. I almost gave it up after I finished college. Now after 5 years, I am again trying to build up the habit, and honestly I am enjoying it, hope I continue for long this time. 

Here are some of the poems I adored back then and reading them again was a fulfilling experience. While some were a maiden read, but gave the same feeling.



Robert Frost- 

Fire and Ice:



Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.
      From what I've tasted of desire
      I hold with those who favor fire.
      But if it had to perish twice,
      I think I know enough of hate
      To say that for destruction ice
      Is also great
      And would suffice.
   
     The Telephone:
       
     When I was just as far as I could walk 
     From here today
     There was an hour
     All still
     When leaning with my head against a flower
     I heard you talk.
     Don't say I didn't for I heard you say
     You spoke from that flower on the window sill-
     Do you remember what it was you said '
     
     'First tell me what it was you thought you heard.'
     'Having found the flower and driven a bee away
     I leaned my head
     And holding by the stalk
     I listened and I thought I caught the word
     What was it
     Did you call me by my name 
     Or did you say
     Someone said "Come"
     I heard it as I bowed.'
    
     'I may have thought as much but not aloud.'
     
     Well so I came.”
        
     William Wordsworth:
  
     She was a phantom of delight
     When first she gleamed upon my sight;

     A lovely Apparition, sent

     To be a moment's ornament;

     Her eyes as stars of Twilight fair;

     Like Twilight's, too, her dusky hair;
     But all things else about her drawn
     From May-time and the cheerful Dawn;
     A dancing Shape, an Image gay,
     To haunt, to startle, and way-lay.

     I saw her upon a nearer view,
     A Spirit, yet a Woman too!Her household motions light and free,
     And steps of virgin liberty;
     A countenance in which did meet
     Sweet records, promises as sweet;
     A Creature not too bright or good
     For human nature's daily food;
     For transient sorrows, simple wiles,
     Praise, blame, love, kisses, tears and smiles.

     And now I see with eye serene
     The very pulse of the machine;

     William Blake:
    
    Never seek to tell thy love 
    Love that never told can be;
    For the gentle wind does move
     Silently, invisibly.
     I told my love, I told my love,  
     I told her all my heart, 
     Trembling, cold, in ghastly fears--
     Ah, she doth depart.
     Soon as she was gone from me
     A traveller came by
     Silently, invisibly--
     O, was no deny.

     Emily Dickinson:

1)   I'm nobody! Who are you?
     Are you nobody, too?
     Then there's a pair of us -- don't tell!
     They'd banish us, you know.
     How dreary to be somebody!
     How public, like a frog
     To tell your name the livelong day
     To an admiring bog!


   2)   How happy is the little stone
     That rambles in the road alone,
     And doesn't care about careers,
     And exigencies never fears;
     Whose coat of elemental brown 
     A passing universe put on;
     And independent as the sun,
     Associates or glows alone,
     Fulfilling absolute decree 
     In casual simplicity.

     I love the Romantic poets as well as the Metaphysical poets like John Donne. A lot more poets are in my to read list. Poetry has the kind of magic in it that can leave you spellbound as well as with the thoughts that how with the use of limited words, the poet pours his mind and heart out.



This entry was posted on 02:12 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Jumping Castles Hire said...

    I simply want to tell you that I am all new to blogging and honestly loved this web page. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog post . You definitely have remarkable stories. Thanks a bunch for sharing your web page.

  1. ... on 12 September 2012 at 14:39